UMass Will Allow Domestic Terrorist To Speak On Campus

University officials cite “academic freedom” as their reason to allow United Freedom Front leader Raymond Luc Levasseur to speak on campus.  The group is responsible for the murder of a New Jersey State Trooper, attempted assassinations of Massachusetts troopers and the bombing of the Suffolk County Courthouse.  That is just one of twenty bombings the group is linked to.

Because the group’s rage resulted in the slaying of a New Jersey state trooper and attempted assassination of two Bay State troopers, cops strongly protested and the speech at UMass-Amherst was called off last week – until news yesterday that it was still being planned for Thursday night on the publicly funded campus.

“It’s truly unbelievable,” said Rick Brown, president of the State Police Association of Massachusetts, who added that cops from around the nation are prepared to protest the event. “If the governor told UMass not to bring this terrorist to a taxpayer-funded campus, it should not be happening.”

Sit down for this shocka.

But several free-speech groups, including the American Civil Liberties Union, have asked UMass officials to reconsider.

Naturally, a progressive group is hosting the event.

Law enforcement sources said the event will take place in a campus building. Separate sources said the event is being sponsored by the Department of Social Thought and Political Economy, a progressive campus group, and that a UMass professor extended the invitation to Levasseur. Attempts to reach that group last night were unsuccessful.

The article states that Levasseur is on parole and living in a halfway house in Maine.  I want to know who approved this on the law enforcement side as well as who is paying for his travel expenses and whether he will be accompanied by law enforcement on his little trip from Maine to Western Mass.  Not one penny of taxpayer money should be allocated towards giving this excuse for a human being a platform to speak.

Officials Were Aware Hasan Communicated With Radical Cleric, Dropped Inquiry

More disturbing details emerge about Ft. Hood shooter, Nadil Malik Hasan, and what our intelligence agencies knew about him.

WASHINGTON — Intelligence agencies intercepted communications last year and this year between the military psychiatrist accused of shooting to death 13 people at Fort Hood, Tex., and a radical cleric in Yemen known for his incendiary anti-American teachings.

But the federal authorities dropped an inquiry into the matter after deciding that the messages from the psychiatrist, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, did not suggest any threat of violence and concluding that no further action was warranted, government officials said Monday.

Major Hasan’s 10 to 20 messages to Anwar al-Awlaki, once a spiritual leader at a mosque in suburban Virginia where Major Hasan worshiped, indicate that the troubled military psychiatrist came to the attention of the authorities long before last Thursday’s shooting rampage at Fort Hood, but that the authorities left him in his post.

This was before the blog entries comparing U.S. Soldiers to suicide bombers.

Meanwhile, more revelations emerge about the red flags raised by Hasan’s actions in the Army.

The Army psychiatrist believed to have killed 13 people at Fort Hood warned a roomful of senior Army physicians a year and a half ago that to avoid “adverse events,” the military should allow Muslim soldiers to be released as conscientious objectors instead of fighting in wars against other Muslims.

As a senior-year psychiatric resident at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Maj. Nidal M. Hasan was supposed to make a presentation on a medical topic of his choosing as a culminating exercise of the residency program.

Instead, in late June 2007, he stood before his supervisors and about 25 other mental health staff members and lectured on Islam, suicide bombers and threats the military could encounter from Muslims conflicted about fighting in the Muslim countries of Iraq and Afghanistan, according to a copy of the presentation obtained by The Washington Post.

“It’s getting harder and harder for Muslims in the service to morally justify being in a military that seems constantly engaged against fellow Muslims,” he said in the presentation.

More political correctness run amok?

An Army spokesman said Monday night he was unaware of the presentation, and a Walter Reed spokesman declined to comment. It is unclear whether anyone in attendance reported the briefing to counterintelligence or law enforcement authorities whose job it is to identify threats from within the military ranks.

Did officials at Walter Reed decide to wash their hands of Hasan and ship him down to Ft. Hood?  It sure sounds like it.