Is anyone surprised by this?
The five men facing trial in the Sept. 11 attacks will plead not guilty so that they can air their criticisms of U.S. foreign policy, the lawyer for one of the defendants said.
Scott Fenstermaker, the lawyer for accused terrorist Ali Abd al-Aziz Ali, said Sunday the men would not deny their role in the 2001 attacks but “would explain what happened and why they did it.”
The U.S. Justice Department announced earlier this month that Ali and four other men accused of murdering nearly 3,000 people in the deadliest terrorist attack in the U.S. will face a civilian federal trial just blocks from the site of the destroyed World Trade Center.
Ali, also known as Ammar al-Baluchi, is a nephew of professed 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed.
Mohammed, Ali and the others will explain “their assessment of American foreign policy,” Fenstermaker said.
“Their assessment is negative,” he said.
There is no way that Obama and Holder did not anticipate this happening, yet they still opted for a trial in federal court. This preventable show trial will be Obama’s legacy and fresh in the minds of voters in 2012.
This is wrong on so many levels. Not only will Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and the others be afforded all of the rights of a U.S. citizen facing trial, but their defense teams will have all discoverable evidence handed over to them which will surely include sensitive intelligence information. And if that isn’t bad enough, Mohammed and the others’ public trial (and repeated focus on “torture”) will surely be used as a recruiting tool for the Jihad. The trial of a terrorist who has admitted he was the mastermind of the 9/11 attacks which took the lives of 3000 innocent human beings will likely take on a circus-like atmosphere. What a slap in the face to the families of the victims.
New York Post/Via Ace of Spades
WASHINGTON — Self-proclaimed Sept. 11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four other Guantanamo Bay detainees will be sent to New York to face trial in a civilian federal court, an Obama administration official said Friday.
The official said Attorney General Eric Holder plans to announce the decision later in the morning.
The official is not authorized to discuss the decision before the announcement, so spoke on condition of anonymity.
Bringing such notorious suspects to U.S. soil to face trial is a key step in President Barack Obama’s plan to close the terror suspect detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Obama initially planned to close the detention center by Jan. 22, but the administration is no longer expected to meet that deadline.
Another Friday news dump. Barry was conveniently on the other side of the world making excuses about his indecision on Afghanistan and blathering about climate change when this news hit.
Elections have consequences. This is by far – in my opinion – the most appalling decision to come out of the Obama administration. Yet.